Buca di Beppo on International Drive is hiring all positions. Click below to learn more from Yahoo Hot Jobs.
Monthly Archives: February 2009
This article from the Daytona Beach News Journal illustrates perfectly the myth that “salads” are the healthy choice at restaurants. Salads are always subject, in my opinion, unless you have made them yourself.
Salad as diet food? I think not! The burger is no picnic, but I am always discouraged when no mention of protein count is included in such analyses. The secret to the plan I was on, The Abs Diet by Men’s Health, was to make holistic food choices rather than purely “weight loss” choices. In the case of burger vs. salad, a burger (not this one LOL) can be a good choice. Served on a whole wheat bun with a patty less than 1/2 pound, a nice tomato slice, with some baby spinach leaves for the crunch, sprinkled with some ground flax, topped with some flax infused mayo or brown mustard is not only a tasty treat but nutrient rich. Even topped with a slice of low-fat american cheese, the nutritional benefits keep pace with the modest fat calories. This is a meal that has protein punch, vitamins galore, and enough fiber (thanks to the tomato, whole wheat bun, and spinach) to keep you feeling full. Avoid HFCS by skipping barbecue sauce or ketchup and you are helping yourself.
So, you are sitting at Chili’s, debating your food order. This is what you SHOULD order. The Black Bean Burger with a house salad, fat free honey mustard dressing. Ask for a whole-wheat bun. Nutritional information (from my Abs Diet Field Guide): 520 calories, 57 grams protein, 38 grams carbs, 12 grams total fat, 24 grams fiber. That’s a lot of fiber!!!
“Be the fruit loop in a world full of cheerios”
I love it! Why blend in to the crowd I always say!!! Be original!!!!
Thanks to Barry, a customer, for snapping this shot of David Lane and me walking past the Golden Lion on this sunny Sunday afternoon.
I have decided I will need cookies and milk to make it to the end of the broadcast. Lucky for me, I have an unopened box of Girl Scout Trefoils!!!
Inspired by a post from my friend Kari at http://kari-world.blogspot.com/2009/02/top-shelf.html, here is my Top Shelf, compiled with Library Thing.
Tonight I was craving hot dogs, so here I am eatin’ hot dogs. But not just any hot dogs. I am eating Ballpark All Beaf Franks (note to New Yorkers, they are better than Nathan’s) on whole wheat buns topped Gulden’s Brown Mustard, & Mt. Olive Dill Relish. On the side I have Lays Original Wavy Chips dipped in ketchup. This was a very specific craving, all the way to the brands. YUMMY
- 08:12 Morning y’all!!! #
- 09:31 tinyurl.com/alq973 Blog Post: Wow I Didn’t Know That! #
- 09:41 Now playing: Bob Dylan – Born in Time tinyurl.com/d962zs #
- 09:47 Got Tiki?: My "Wow I Didn’t Know That!" Moment Of The Day ff.im/194WJ #
- 09:55 a great Friday so far! #
- 09:56 @ryliestephens love your new myspace photos 😉 #
- 09:59 25 Things I Hate About Facebook (from juliansmith.tv) tinyurl.com/clh8pp #
- 10:05 Now playing: Will Smith – Gettin Jiggy With It tinyurl.com/yvxodx #
- 10:09 @fullsizebarbie awww…i’m sure yours will improve! #
- 10:19 What a scumbag!!! tinyurl.com/bj8fvo #
- 10:37 @carbonKim LOL about what am I complaining? #
- 10:42 @carbonKim ummm….that was a repost, and a quite funny one at that. i actually quite like FB. who pissed in your cornflakes? #
- 10:57 Blog Post: Friday Morning Play List tinyurl.com/an9qfp #
- 11:08 didn’t realize that last.fm linked up to blip.fm…sweet #
- 11:16 @pagankelly suck it trebek! #
- 11:17 Listening to a song I love: Bob Dylan – My Back Pages tinyurl.com/5vf2v2 #
- 11:18 @orngblsms what’s so funny? #
- 11:19 @carbonKim i still heart you #
- 11:19 @samblak ??? #
- 11:30 Listening to: Lazlo Bane – Superman tinyurl.com/3392e8 #
- 11:37 Golden Lion (Home Of TikiTender) on cnn.com www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/02/19/saving.right.whales/index.html #
- 11:52 @ShelliMayfield general rule: affect=verb effect=noun "The arrows affected Aardvark. The effect was eye-popping." #
- 11:54 ate pizza for breakfast…and i liked it #
- 12:00 @ShelliMayfield happy to help. remember there are a couple exceptions. "to effect change" or to "have a blank affect". but those are rare #
- 12:08 @ShelliMayfield my other favorite grammar aid: "Hens lay/people lie". But lay/lie is much more complicated! #
- 12:21 Facebook’s Terms of Service May Include Furniture Removal mashable.tumblr.com/post/80000510 @mashable #
- 12:31 i haven’t listened to the entire record yet, but I don’t think I am going to like "12 Bar Blues" by Scott Weiland #music #
- 13:35 @trivibot walt disney #
- 13:54 Fat Tuesday Is Coming….Try A True New Orleans Classic Cocktail tinyurl.com/czmz33 #
- 13:58 Repost from a myspace comment: Sunset Motivational Poster i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt27/IllicoPresto/Motivational/Sunset.jpg #
- 14:26 @ComplicatedMama south by southwest music festival as far as i can tell #
- 14:27 quick nap then on to work #
Fat Tuesday is coming up!!!! Revelers tip: Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) is the end of the celebration, not the beginning. So come see me at the Lion and get in the spirit. Forget the Hurrican, go old-school. Try a Sazerac, an classic fashioned New Orleans cocktail. The Sazerac cocktail was named by John Schiller in 1859 upon the opening of his Sazerac Coffee House in New Orleans. The Sazerac was originally a cognac based drink, accompanied with bitters. In the 1870s, Sazerac rye whiskey was subsituted, and pastis or absinthe was added.
The Golden Lion Sazerac will be made with Rye One® Premium Rye whiskey and Absente® absinthe. The rye will be combined in an old-fashioned glass with a sugar cube and a dash or two of bitters, then muddled. In a separate ice-filled glass, a few drops of absinthe will be rinsed to coat the glass then the ice and absinthe will be discarded. The rye, bitters, and sugar mix will then be poured into the prepared glass. This drink is normally served up with a twist of lemon. Request rocks if you prefer.
I will be working Friday, Saturday, and Monday nights. Come on out and try something new!